about

Monday, April 21, 2014

SKY HIGH SKYSCRAPER ART


If you've been following my blog, you'll know that I collect metal buildings. 


I collect both the souvenir kind, and the newer ones that sometimes hit the market…like the great Chrysler building below that I purchased at Z-Gallerie.


 I'm a fan of all great architecture, but I specifically enjoy a great skyscraper. That's my prized Empire State Building lamp next to my newer Z-Gallerie Chrysler building…(which made me very happy when I discovered it). I found the Empire State building lamp sitting on a shelf in an antique store in downtown Dallas quite a few years ago. I didn't buy it because it was priced a bit high. I couldn't sleep that night because I was convinced that I needed to add it to my collection and was now so sure someone else would grab it. I was a lot younger and a bit more obsessive about my collection back then.The next day, I of course went back and paid the high price. I'm not as obsessed about that stuff these days, but I'm really glad I have my Empire State Building lamp. 


Most of the rest of my collection I keep in my blue-striped-octogan-library space. I've posted this picture before, but didn't show you the two opposite walls because they were just striped walls that didn't yet have any art hanging on them. But this weekend….



I finally put up the art I had been planning to create for the past two years…maybe even a little longer. After I made that poster size art image a few posts back, it hit me…"Duh!" I said to myself, that's how I can get this project done. Poster/tile printing an enlarged image onto several 81/2 x 11 pieces of paper. I worked on these all weekend. I'm lovin' the way they work in the space.

3 comments:

  1. What a terrific collection of souvenir buildings - and you have displayed them is such a great way. Thank you for sharing this with everyone. I hope you know that you are not alone in your love of souvenir buildings. There are many of us all over the world. There is even a club - the Souvenir Building Collectors Society. We gather annually for our conventions which is always a great place to chat with other collectors as well as to buy, sell and view souvenir buildings. Check out their website at www.sbcsocity.com for more information. Join us! Joe K.

    ReplyDelete