about

Saturday, October 11, 2014

GIVING INSPIRATION

Today, I found myself both inspired by the giving and by the goods that were given.


I have been waiting for the opening of the 'Dwell with Dignity's Thrift Studio'. I read about it on a Dallas Design Center website and wanted to go and photograph the creative home furnishing vignettes for an inspiring blog post. I was going for…'the pretty'…but instead, came away with a new inspiration. 


It wasn't actually a thrift shop. In fact I'm not quite sure why the word "thrift" is even used here. It's really a fundraiser for the Dwell with Dignity organization. Dwell with Dignity is a non-profit group of interior designers that give their time, goods, and skills, to create inspiring homes for families struggling with homelessness and poverty. They believe that if they can change someone's environment, it will change their outlook on life. I think it's great!
Check out some of their inspiring before-and-after's on the 
DWELL WITH DIGNITY website. 


The giving part definitely inspires me, and I plan on giving to the givers, but now… let's take a look at some of the inspiring gives.


Like this funky 'Tutti-Frutti' multi colored glass cluster.


There were many great pieces of art to admire, and purchase of course. 


This lovely red untitled piece is by artist Mary Morgan.
It would make a great bold statement in a modern minimalist space. 


I'm not quite sure of what I'm looking at in this lively piece, but I do like what it says.


This one clearly caught my attention. Titled "Reverence #222".  I like all the color, but I mostly dig the texture and the mixing of the colors. 


I even like the way the artist, Melissa Ellis, signed her name right into the thick painted design.


As usual, I did see a chandelier or two that I found attractive.


And, I thought that this wall-drawing was a clever way to showcase some of the donated pieces.


This piece of furniture reminds me of our year and a half in North Carolina. My husband was the builder/project manager for a large mountainside vacation home. 

The project called for lots of huge chunky pieces of wood, bark, and stone. I would drive up there and see the large pile of throw away wood… 'chunks'? in a burn pile, and the creative part of my brain would go into overload. 

I would design possible benches, tables, sculptures, etc…while my husband would simply roll his eyes. 
I did eventually make a few great modern pieces of art out of some less chunky, but equally cool barn wood. 

I remember going with my husband to the farm to purchase the barn wood for siding. The home being built was a green project. It was sided with barn wood, bark, and stacked stone. It was actually very chic. 

In Dallas you have to go to a pricey showroom to buy reclaimed wood. In North Carolina, we just drove out to the farm where they tore down the barn. Anyway, we were definitely city people a bit out of our element. 

On the farm, in the mountains, I suddenly saw this amazing fluffy white bird walking around. Excitedly I said, "what is that?" as I  grabbed my camera. The guy looked at me like I was from another planet and said, "duh! It's a chicken." Well, maybe he didn't actually say the "duh!" part. 

How was I supposed to know that there were fluffy (Silkie) chickens. To me it looked like the kind of bird that Paris Hilton might want to carry around in her purse.


I hope you enjoyed todays inspiration.






4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, the last line in your post made my day. Too funny. All Paris would need is some fluffy feather slippers to match. This "thrift" store is a gem. How lucky you are to have it within reach, even if only for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol :-) Thanks for actually reading my posts…instead of just looking at the pictures. And, from one blogger to another…thank you for taking the time to comment as well.

      Delete
  2. Awe, the silkie! Thanks, for returning your stories. Yes,I did read them. ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, Thank you for reading. I forgot to mention how the silkie lays tiny eggs. And how my friend…we'll call her…Polly :-) recently had her own silkie. She would sometimes give me fresh mini silkie eggs. You only have to crack open 3 or 4 to equal one regular sized egg. Oy! But they were fresh and tasted quite good.

      Delete